[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Thu Jan 21 07:58:58 CST 2010

Rick Hamell wrote:

> Teach critical thinking
> Teach writing skills and research
> Give them a way to explore interests that may develop into a hobby or
a job.

   Yes! Yes! Yes!

   In college I was an English major. I read, and wrote, and discussed
things. I did close readings of texts to discover patterns and
motivations and to infer more subtle ideas. Now I am a sysadmin and a
manager. My lack of a technical degree was never an issue. But I see
that "technical" people with good language and critical thinking skills
are more useful, effective, and flexible than those without.

   This month's Atlantic Monthly magazine has a very interesting story
(which I suggst all of you in this thread read!) about identifying the
highest-performing teachers:
http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/201001/good-teaching
   Yes, it can be done, and those lessons can be taught. In the same
way, good critical thinking skills can be taught. And they should be, to
everyone, at every level!

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt