[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Jan 19 20:58:40 CST 2010

> I've always wondered about the relevance of the 8 bit byte in today's
> world where the majority of (desktop) processors are no longer 8 bit.

> Is there some elephant in the room that I can't see?

Those processors, while not 8-bit in the sense of having registers,
ALUs, and internal data paths that are 8 bits wide, _are_ 8-bit in an
important sense: their programmer-visible addressing unit is 8 bits.

As long as that's true, 8-bit bytes will remain important.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org