[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 13:43:36 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:
> On 01/19/10 05:56, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
>> My experience has been you can get 2-3 megabytes per second on an empty
>> network depending upon the processor speed, card type, operating system
and
>> driving protocol and operating systems (ftp is the fastest, AFP
>> from Linux is the slowest). YMMV.
>
> Your experience differs from mine.  Testing via FTP between Solaris and
> Linux hosts, I routinely see an honest 95-98 megabits across my network
> on 100Mbit NICs and switches, as long as the source machine can sustain
> that transfer rate.  I have to wonder what you're doing (or not doing)
> to be getting such poor performance.  (Though "AFP" gives me a clue; my
> experience is that Macs have *always* been sluggish relative to other
> machines with comparable processor speed and memory.)

Interesting.  While I haven't done a raw test to check actual transfer
rates, I can honestly say that there's a significant improvement
between my OS X boxes and Solaris if I use afpd (to or from) rather
than nfs or cifs.  The same was true on Linux.  Now, I can see where a
protocol like ftp would be faster than any of these on all OSes, but
IME, cifs/smb is the slowest of all.

=Nadine=