[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 86, Issue 11

Brooke Gravitt gravitt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 12:31:51 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Patrick Finnegan
<pat at computer-refuge.org>wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 January 2010, Brooke Gravitt wrote:
> > Private and charter schools seem to be the way to go, as the
> >  local and state governments seem incapable or providing a basic
> >  education - free from social indoctrination.
>
> As a graduate of a public high-school and public university, I take
> offense to this.  Perhaps you're referring to your local state, but I
> really dislike sweeping generalizations like this.

Sorry you take offense, but I'm speaking from my personal experience. As a
matter of fact, you can't refer to "public" or "private" education without
making sweeping generalizations - there are exceptions on either end of the
curve.  As someone who graduated from both private and government-run
schools, I have a different perspective - I managed to attend ( due to
judicious moving across the state as a kid ) 9 schools before I graduated
high school - 7 government, 2 private. I attended a couple of state schools
in college, and one in Germany ( trinken das Bier ist wunderbar! )

The quality of government education in this country has been in decline for
more than a generation. Topics that are "AP" or Advanced Placement were
general curriculum in years' past. My wife saw it in the dozen years she was
a techer in her own school - standards being relaxed to get more passing
students, so that more gov't $$ could keep flowing. The government schools
in the area she grew up in MI were better than the private ones, but I doubt
that holds as an average.

But that's just my opinion :)

brooke