[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Jan 19 08:54:43 CST 2010

On Tuesday 19 January 2010, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> My experience has been you can get 2-3 megabytes per second on an
>  empty network depending upon the processor speed, card type,
>  operating system and driving protocol and operating systems (ftp is
>  the fastest, AFP from Linux is the slowest). YMMV.

??? Using what gear? and is it not a switched network?

That sounds horrible for a 100Base-T network, unless you're testing it
using something particularly ancient (like maybe a SparcStation 1 or
something), or the network is using hubs instead of switches and is
getting a fair number of collisions.

Pat