[geeks] Flash Player Video/XP/AMD glitch

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 02:15:43 CST 2010

On 19 Jan 2010, at 01:12, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> On Jan 18, 2010, at 6:23 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We're stumped. Seriously stumped. Like, we've not been this stumped since
about 1994 stumped.

> What is different between LinITC test setup and your home setup? Drives,
RAM, and power supply. Logically, the issue should be somewhere in the
differences.

Like I said, we're trying to find that out at the moment. We only got it back
yesterday. E-mail is in work.

> I had an Intel MB that simply SUCKED on IDE drives, felt twice as fast when
I cutover to SATA HDs... The poor performance drove me nuts.

Been there too. This is why I've used SATA on every board that's had it fitted
since it was new (I think I was one of the first people in the UK to buy a
SATA hard drive when they were first available and cost, count em 109GBP for a
80GB disk) :)

> Then there's the time I had BAD memory (nit wrong spec, but broken RAM).
That consumed an entire day.

Been there too.

> Been there, done that. Good luck,

Thanks :)

On 19 Jan 2010, at 04:47, Geoffrey Reed wrote:

> What OS version and sp/patch level did they use to test it?
>
> Did they have it mounted in a case or was it on a test-bench, if there is a
> bad solder joint on a bga the stress from being mounted in a case could
> cause enough flex that you get a problem that shows up that doesn't when
> just on a testbench.

I mentioned that:

"LinITX tested it over multiple hours with iPlayer, YouTube and in XP SP3 and
Linux with no issues."

We're running XP SP3 with the same drivers and have also tried Linux Mint 8 on
it from hard drive and LiveCD. Same results.

Taking it out of the case is an interesting idea. It's not overheating or
anything silly we've been around that loop already, monitored temps and
nothing is going through the roof.

I'll let you know if that yields anything.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>