[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Jan 18 22:44:41 CST 2010

On 01/18/10 23:04, der Mouse wrote:
>> Yeah.  I'd strongly recommend staging the backups to disk.  LTO-2
>> requires 40MB/sec to stream, so you'll need reasonably fast disk to
>> act as a cache.
>
> Given how much RAM "modern" machines tend to have, you might consider
> queueing data in RAM until you have, say, a gig, then dump it to tape.
> Shoeshining is unlikely to be much of a problem if you are dumping it a
> gig or so at a time. :)

Well, there *is* that, I suppose.  But modifying Bacula to add a
spool-to-RAM feature seems a heck of a lot of trouble to go to in order
to not really solve an underlying problem of insufficient network
bandwidth.  I hate applying band-aids - especially complex,
labor-intensive band-aids - that don't actually address the underlying
problem.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.