[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Jan 18 16:43:00 CST 2010

On 01/18/10 17:30, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Monday 18 January 2010, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 01/18/10 16:21, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> The bad news:  The LTO-2 drive is shoeshining.  I can't get enough
>>  data over a 100Mbit connection to keep it streaming.  It's going to
>>  have to go onto a machine that's connected to the main server via
>>  gigabit.  I really need to go to a gigabit core switch...  and I
>>  probably need to get gigabit interfaces into at least two more of
>>  the faster clients.
>
> Yeah.  I'd strongly recommend staging the backups to disk.  LTO-2
> requires 40MB/sec to stream, so you'll need reasonably fast disk to act
> as a cache.

I'm guessing having 12 SATA spindles on the main server ought to be
enough to keep it happy, once it's on a machine connected to said main
server via gigabit.  :)  Bacula can do disk spooling, but that won't
really help much if the main data sources are on the far side of a
100Mbit connection from the tape drive.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.