[geeks] Q: Regarding Linux in K-12 education

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon Jan 18 00:07:49 CST 2010

From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>

> On Jan 17, 2010, at 8:58 AM, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
>
> > I expect you are living in one. The only ones that are still going
> > strong are Israel, China, and India. Everywhere else is slowing down,
> > dropping their standards and reducing the money available for
> > education.
>
> Geoff, glad to see you didn't equate money with quality of education -
> my school district/employer wastes money thinking they are one
> technical gee-gaw away from improving our HS ranking, which is
> currently ranked in the top 5% in NJ (out of over 600 HS in NJ).
>
> For the record, it is NOT the IT dept. pushing it, the teachers are,
> and the requests always seems to coincide with the annual teacher's
> convention... Odd.
>
> Lionel

Only 5%?  Gotta wait for you guys to catch up. :-) (Just kidding)
Your district is not the only district who thinks that technology
will improve education.  We are getting flooded with Smart Boards
and demands that we write grants for technology items. And many
of us have to buy paper for classroom use since there is "no money"
for supplies.  But we can spend $7 mil for consultants.

Bob