[geeks] Ubuntu on Intel graphics

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Feb 28 13:23:27 CST 2010

On 02/28/10 13:40, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 01:23:14PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Personally, I just don't use Ubuntu.  It's too frustrating to beat it
>> into submission every time I want to do something NOT precisely the way
>> the rest of the Ubuntu herd does it.  Ubuntu's constant "DON'T TOUCH
>> THAT, you USER!!!" makes me want to take a heavy steel ruler to the
>> knuckles of the Ubuntu developers.
>
> I'm begining to feel that way. 9.04 did not work with IDE optical drives. :-(

That's curious.  It worked on Cymru's previous two laptops, with IDE
optical drives...  (her current one MIGHT be SATA, I haven't checked.)

> I don't want to start a distro war, but is there anything that is better?

I've switched from Slackware (I got sick and tired of manually chasing
down dependency trees for anything newer than or not in the pitifully
small set of usually-outdated Slackware packages) to Gentoo on my own
Linux boxes, but it's *very definitely* not for everyone.  For an
end-user distro, I've actually started suggesting Mandriva.  Its
urpm-based package management isn't quite as good as apt, and it seems
to have fewer packages available, but it's not nearly as much of a
control freak as Ubuntu.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.