[geeks] Nice (large) laptop

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 19:07:37 CST 2010

A while ago I posted about my search for (what I termed) a workhorse
laptop, and I think I've found a winner. It's a Dell, and while some
may have had bad exp. with them, I've had good exp.

The laptop I like is the Studio S1747 laptop:

  - i7 quad core CPU (6 Meg cache)
  - 4 Gig DDR3, takes up to 8 Gig
  - 500 Gig SATA HD (7200 RPM)
  - 1 Gig ATI 4570 video adapter
  - DVD-R/W w/ Blu-Ray player
  - 17" 1600x900 LED backlight display
  - eSATA, HDMI, FireWire USB ports
  - room for a second HD (!)
  - 9 cell battery (2 hours pluss battery?)
  - 7.5 pound weight

For $1K even at BestBuy...

They have a nice i5 Dell laptop for under $800, but with integrated
graphics, no BluRay, no 2nd HD and no 1600x900 display, I think the
extra $200 buys a much better laptop. The i5 has about 3x the battery
life, IIRC...

Lionel