[geeks] iPad - a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 11:37:46 CST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
> "
> " On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za>
wrote:
> " > Why does OS X support certain Atom-related chip-sets?
> "
> " I was under the impression that Apple was going to exclude Atom
> " support in the next release of OS X, they are actually going to code
> " in mechanisims to detect Atom CPUs and shutdown...
> "
> "
http://osxdaily.com/2009/10/31/hackintosh-netbook-users-take-note-snow-leopar
d-10-6-2-update-kills-support-for-atom-processor/

> i've heard that.  i've also heard that there's active interest in
> hacking the update to disable or exclude the offending 'feature', but
> i don't know if it's yet been accomplished.

It has been.  The method used is to patch the running kernel in memory
@ boot.  I have an SA buddy with a Dell Mini 9 who's on 10.6.2.

I think Apple would do well to hire some of these guys--they know the
system inside and out. :-)

=Nadine=