[geeks] iPad - a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 09:47:27 CST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:38 AM, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 08:45:36PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
>>
>> Well it's been a rumour for slightly longer than a roll of Andrex, but
>> it's finally dropped. iPad, the fabled Apple tablet.
>
> I'm surprised that at the end of the day it doesn't run regular OS X,
> and doesn't come with an Atom processor. Why does OS X support certain
> Atom-related chip-sets? Maybe it was Apple's original plan to use Atom,
> but then again they must have been designing their custom ARM chip for
> some time now.

I was under the impression that Apple was going to exclude Atom
support in the next release of OS X, they are actually going to code
in mechanisims to detect Atom CPUs and shutdown...

http://osxdaily.com/2009/10/31/hackintosh-netbook-users-take-note-snow-leopard-10-6-2-update-kills-support-for-atom-processor/

Lionel

--
Lionel Peterson