[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 09:42:16 CST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Nadine Miller <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> I really think it's something I could talk my Mom into, and she's nearing
> "Luddite" territory.  The only thing she's ever asked me about computers is
> (and keep in mind my dad was a PC geek), "Can I plug the digital camera
> directly into the LCD frame you gave me?"  (Which tells you why I'm
thinking
> iPad. :-)

<snip>

My mother would like internet access, and like it convienient, so I
can imagine a scenario that makes this device very useful for someone
like her, but she'd have a problem with the monthly fee involved
(either $30/month for 3G or $30+ for ISP w/WiFi, since she has nothing
now).

The appliance nature of the iPad does appeal though - she still wishes
her old "iOpener" worked, but the baseline requirements for web
browsing made her otherwise satisfactory device useless to her. Her
favorite feature (aside from internet access, of course), was the
ability to just shut it off if it got "stuck" and not harm the device.
PSs/Macs are not so forgiving (the iOpener had it's OS in ROM).

But, she's also willing to just rely on her two (local) children for
Internet access (we'll print recipes, etc for her "on demand") - she
can afford the $30+/month, but can't justify it. (I just bought her an
"emergency cell phone", and AT&T Go Phone, since that gets the monthly
cost down to about $8/month (a $100 credit keeps the phone active for
12 months and calls deduct $.25/minute, no per-day fee), and she has a
problem with the idea of "wasting" $8/month)

Lionel
--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com