[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 19:51:43 CST 2010

On Feb 3, 2010, at 11:25 AM, nate at portents.com wrote:

>> It would be ironic if it really went against Apple, and in order to
>> produce the processing power needed for a 1080p netbook, Intel did produce
>> the quad core Atom they claim they are not going to.
>
> They're not, and there's no need to.
>
> And Apple is best-served by drawing a line in the sand to stop Adobe from
> taking over web standards with their lazy, badly written, poorly
> optimized, security-hole-ridden Flash platform.  Apple can do better
> performance video playback using optimized APIs on solid drivers to do GPU
> assisted video decode in a more secure way and save more battery life than
> any Adobe plugin solution ever could.

The BBC got 'round the "no flash on the iPhone" by simply streaming H.264
directly.  It's possible, and plenty of web sites are doing it.  Flash is
unnecessary, and anyone with more than a passing familiarity with web
standards should realize this, *especially* people purporting to be techies.
We had this fight before.  Remember when 90% of web sites didn't support
Firefox?

It should also be noted that the Maemo Firefox team is leaving out plugin
support--because of FLASH.
http://lifehacker.com/5458511/firefox-mobile-10-rc3-available-for-maemo-disab
les-flash-by-default