[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Feb 4 11:00:24 CST 2010

On 02/04/10 11:29, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 07:44:31AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>>
>>> YAY Youtube!
>>
>> Meanwhile, a HUGE raspberry to Flickr for all-too-frequently using Flash
>> to display STATIC IMAGES.  :p
>
> Isn't that only used in the slide-show view?  I was about to say that it
> is long past time for them to replace their slide show program with
> plain HTML, but then it occured to me that they might still be trying to
> make IE6 users happy.  Ick.

That may be the case.  The effect's the same; if someone passes me a
Flickr link, and all that comes up when I load it is a placeholder
asking me to allow a full-page Flash object, I close the tab and write
it off.  Likewise, I won't go to some photo-hosting sites at all -
smugmug is a particularly bad offender; holy CRAP, did they have a
contest to see how much Javascript they could jam into one page?
Viewing a photo, or even photo gallery, online in a web browser should
not drive a multi-GHz CPU into 100% utilization.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.