[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 13:14:49 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM,  <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 11:49:44AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>> Woot recently had an Ion VHS -> PC player (tape drive and USB video
>> converter in one package) for $29.95, I bought one on a whim (to
>> capture old McDonald's VHS tapes to iPod for my young daughter), and
>> when I mentioned it to folks at $work, everyone had some level of
>> interest in such a device (a VHS tape conversion "appliance", if you
>> will, link here: http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=11090 )...
>
> Interesting you would mention this. Today there was a discsussion about
> this from someone who just moved here and brought a US (120v) VCR/TV player
> and about 200 tapes. She plugged it to the wrong power converter and is now
> looking for a replacement.
>
> I wonder if the Woot Device is multisystem, or will work on 230 volts.

Thanks for proving my point, Geoff! ;^)

I'm pretty sure it is not multi-system (non-PAL, NTSC-only), not sure
about voltage (110/220 PS are so common it doesn't even register
anymore)...

Oh, I just checked out the webpage, they DO make a PAL version -
here's the Mfg. link: http://www.ionaudio.com/vcr2pc

>From the webpage:

"There's also a PAL version of VCR 2 PC with SCART output so no matter
where your VHS tapes came from, ION can help reconnect you and your
videos."

Not sure about commercial tapes, at $30 I was willing to risk it, at
$80 at Amazon, I'd be more reluctant to risk it...

Item at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/ION-Audio-Video-Computer-Converter/dp/B0017PJ5FI
--
Lionel Peterson