[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Feb 2 07:25:59 CST 2010

> So lets be straight. People on the bus and train watch video on their
> cell phones, iPhones, etc. all the time.  These hand-held devices
> have revolutionized mass transit, or at least, the experience of it.
> Laptops and such simply are not viable on a moving vehicle.

This...umm, disagrees with my experience.

I've taken two train rides a week for most of the last year.  My laptop
(which _is_ a real laptop, not a dinky little "netbook" or some such)
works fine.  And, watching the people around me, I would call laptop
use "common" - it would surprise me if under 10% of the people on a
given train run use a laptop during the ride.  And I'm still talking
real laptops - full-size keyboards, decent screen size, etc.

I haven't paid enough attention to have any real idea how common
watching videos on cellphones and the like is.  The instances I can
recall of seeing someone watch a video involve laptops, but it's
possible I just haven't noticed the small-handheld-video crowd.  But
doing so on laptops certainly is not rare.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org