[geeks] OT: dead emac, help!

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Aug 26 13:24:30 CDT 2010

anyone on here have knowledge/experience with the later emacs?
pointers to places that do?  i've been trolling the web myself...

it's my gf's, a 1.25GHz 'usb 2.0' model, and it's not a bad machine
all-in-all - certainly a demon compared to my u1/200e, and with osx
10.5 it's pretty up to date with patches, apps, etc.

but we had a power wink yesterday morning, and guess which one didn't
come back up?  and it's completely unresponsive, though i get a spark
from the plug when i plug it back in.  fairly obvious conclusion the
ps fell on its sword, but that's the one hinky bit of engineering - it
doesn't really have a separate, dedicated ps module; it's divided
afaict between the crt analog board and a downconverter daughtercard
on the system board.

it isn't likely [i think] to be the 'black cap' problem; apple already
swapped the system board for this back in '06.

if i'm right, repairing it gets her back a working system cheaper than
just about any alternative.

a hearty thank you in advance to anyone who can shed light.