[geeks] Kindle 3 and other eReaders

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Aug 17 15:47:13 CDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 04:06:53PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:

>Kindle and iPad have wifi-only models as well.

Yes, they do. But my obviously not well communicated point is that if you
buy a telephone version of them expecting connectivity in places that
don't have WiFi, you may be dissapointed.

There are many places in the world where GSM or US style CDMA coverage does
not exist. There are also places where data rates are so high that downloading
a copy of the New York times over a cellular connection could cost $100
(cruise ships for example).

The only truely universal coverage is a satellite phone, which can be very
expensive. One company I have seen adds for charges $1 a minute for voice
or data. They cover Europe and Africa, and some of southwest Asia, but not
Israel.

I don't know if they turn off their satellites when they pass overhead,
just prefer not to admit we exist, or don't have a license to sell service
here.

Note that outside of the US Wifi channels differ, many countries (all of
Europe, Africa and Asia) don't allow 5.8gHz, and many have low output
power limitations. A WiFi reader should be ok, but attaching a Pringles
can antenna is illegal in most places (including the US if it is made
properly).

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order