[geeks] Apple ][e tips solicited

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 10:24:41 CDT 2010

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Came into posession of a clean, still working, Apple ][e, circa 1984. It
> powers up, displays on TV, and runs BASIC programs fine. IIRC, this has
> Apple BASIC, not MS, right?

Yes.

> Anyway, looking for tips on cleaning the case, anyone have any
> suggestions? I've got lots of questions, but I haven't started
> researching yet... (haven't touched one of these in about 25 years, so
> I've forgotten lots...)

IMO, nothing works better than Soft Scrub.  Make sure to use the
original formula, the one that doesn't contain bleach.

> It came w/ duo disk drive and controller/cable, as well as a super
> serial card. It also has a 64K/80 column card installed. This system has
> 8x 1x64K chips soldered to the board... Whee!
>
> After I clean this up I plan to introduce my son to the joy of BASIC on
> 'period' hardware.

Cool.  You can also look at ADTpro for copying disk images off the net
and onto your Apple floppies.  It can even bootstrap itself onto a
floppy.  I use it all the time.  It works really well.

Peace...  Sridhar