[geeks] Ergonomic keyboard styles

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Wed Apr 28 15:51:18 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 02:36:53PM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've recently begun to suffer some keyboard related RSI pain and am
> wondering if anyone on list has experience with the different styles
> of ergonomic keyboards.
>
> I'm basically stuck in choosing between the 'split' style ergonomic
> keyboard, like the kinesis freestyle:
> http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/freestyle.htm
>
> and the contoured type with key-wells:
> http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage.htm

The "Advantage" has some non-obvious features and mis-features.  I bit
the bullet and bought one out of simple desperation. I'm really happy
with it. (I suppose cognitive bias dictates most of us will be happy
with our $300 keyboards.)

* Low key weights, less than half of that of a model M.  It only takes
  a tiny amount of pressure to activate a key, but it's hard to do it
  accidentally.

* Long key throws.  It's much harder to "bottom out" than on a
  conventional keyboard.

* It's "clicky," in the sense that it has audio feedback.

* There's a ton of tactile feedback in addition to the audio -- about
  halfway through the key throw, there's an inflection point that you
  can definitely feel.

* Programmable.  Don't like the particular mod keys that it puts under
  your thumbs ? define new ones.

The major mis-feature: "chiclet" f-keys.  I've become accustomed to
them, but they're still really awful.

I've had ergonomic keyboards in the past, but they were all membrane
keyboards, which are worse than useless.  They're great at first, but
they wear out.  When they wear out, you start to use greater and
greater force on the keys, but you don't notice it.  RSI in a can.