[geeks] Ergonomic keyboard styles

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 09:29:09 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:10 AM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>wrote:

> nate at portents.com wrote:
>
>> and the contoured type with key-wells:
>>> http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage.htm
>>>

>> Cherry MX Brown mechanical keyswitches, sadly not used much in ergo
>> keyboards (most are cheap rubber domes).  The DataDesk SmartBoard uses
>> Alps
>> (or clones of Alps) mechanical keyswitches:
>>
>> http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_sb.html
>>

> I've always hated these split ergonomic keyboards because they seem to want
> to dictate which hand I should be using to hit which key.  Makes my typing
> much slower.  I type 100+ wpm.  Anything which tells me that I can't move my
> hands across the keyboard will slow me down.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

I would encourage you to give extra attention to the mouse that you use.
Different styles appear to use different muscles.  This might cause new or
additional damage.  The roller-ball style of mouse is great for many people
but aggravates my TSI.

Correct hand positioning is what these keyboards are trying to force you to
do.  Correct hand positioning can be accomplished on any keyboard, from my
experience.  Training yourself to use correct hand positioning is possible.
 An appropriate keyboard will help in the training process also.

Having TSI, I try not to type.  (I'm a sysadmin and not a coder--this
helps.)  I buy the best mouse that I can find.