[geeks] IDE drive problem on U5

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 18:36:49 CDT 2010

Hey all,

I'm trying to get an OS loaded on a rescued U5. It came with two WD
45gb EIDE drives & a CDROM installed. I've tried every cableing
combination I can think of with both drives or either/or drive in,
master, slave, cs, almost ready to sacrifice a chicken as if it were a
SCSI chain...

Using the NetBSD 5, Solaris 7 & Solaris 8 installers, everything goes
fine right up to the point of format/newfs. The most recent attempt
was with the Solaris 8 "1 of 2" disk's installer and it stepped
through everything just fine till I get to the time to slice & dice
the disk.

Error msgs are:
Could not check or create system critical filesystems
Could not update disk with new configuration

I'm not familiar with these errors - do they indicate a dead drive? Or
do I still have something cabled incorrectly?

Nothing important about this machine, I'd just rather get it running
rather than throwing it to the recyclers.

Thanks,

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.