[geeks] Need geek assistance

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 12:30:00 CDT 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 10:32 AM, Patrick Finnegan <pat at computer-
refuge.org> wrote:

> I guess the biggest problem with using 208/240V instead of 120V/20A
> circuits is that you can't just pop buy Home Depot and pick up a $5
> power strip for your "datacenter". ;)

I think there is a failure to understand that "last-gen" datacenter
technology can be pretty affordable, if you are patient. I got a
Cat-5e KVM (distinct from IP KVM) for a good price, and thepods can be
found for a reasonable price (again, with patience). I also have a 42U
rack w/PDU (all new) for a good price.

I run my equipment at 120v because I can source low-cost 120v UPS
locally, typically for free (in need of fresh batteries), and the work
for my electrician is minimal, running two 20 amp circuits to the rack
(I don't plan on maxing the circuits, but helps me spread the load)...

Lionel