[geeks] eMac - Holy Crud!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 11:02:35 CDT 2010

So, several months ago I stumbled upon an eMac that was "dead" - no
picture, not able to get a display after I attached an external
monitor, dead.

Then I let it sit for several months (in hindsight, to discharge the
CRT, it's not that I forgot about, no that couldn't be it... ;^).

I decided to crack it open and extract the vital/valuable bits, which,
to my mind are the DVD/CD-R/W drive, RAM (1x 512 Meg PC133 and 1x 256
Meg PC133), the HD (turned out to be a 40 Gig IDE, Big Whoop!), and
the Airport card (original, 11Mb/Sec Airport, not Airport Extreme).

I have literally no use in the rest of the unit, and I have no
interest in re-attaching the four zillion screws to get it back into
usable condition, so I'm asking here - anyone want any of the bits?
They are free for actual S/H.

What the heck were the Apple engineers smoking when they decided to
include so many frickin' screws? At work my fellow techs at the
Elementary schools that have eMacs all but refuse to work on them,
since it is such a complex chassis. On the bright side, they report
they almost always have leftover screws! ;^)

As best I can figure this is a 1GHz unit (but I did not crack the
heatsink off the CPU to confirm), the model number is A1002, which
seems to be a "special" education market model. (It has a modem card)

The logic board "appears" fine, but I've never seen the machine
boot/display anything.

Does anyone want any part of this system?

I'll happily sell the Airport card, but at this moment I'm not sure
what "market" is for a piece like this (I'd be looking for under
'market')  - I'm gonna hold on to the other "valuable" bits, not sure
where I'll use the RAM, but the DVD ROM drive could be useful in a
budget server build down the road.

If interested in any parts, please let me know ASAP (like
today/tomorrow) - just give me an address and a shipping limit, and
I'll see if I can ship it for under your limit.

Thanks,

Lionel
--
Lionel Peterson