[geeks] testing..

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Thu Apr 8 15:38:30 CDT 2010

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> Those are four threads per core, so it's "only" 8 cores, and they're 8
>>> cores per socket.
>>
>> You are obviously correct, I've been brainwashed by MS/Intel to falsely
>> believe that 'thread' equals 'core'...
>
> Except Intel still produces multi-core chips that also use
> Hyperthreading.  I think the biggest chips from Intel nowadays are four
> (six?) cores with two threads apiece.

Six, in the case of the Core i7 980X (with two threads per core):

http://anandtech.com/show/2960

AMD has 12 cores with their Opteron 6174 (no threads, just cores):

http://it.anandtech.com/show/2978/amd-s-12-core-magny-cours-opteron-6174-vs-intel-s-6-core-xeon

And Intel just announced the Xeon 7500 (Nehalem-EX) series, which will
have 8 cores, and up to two threads per core:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18701

- Nate