[geeks] Recommendations for RAID

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 09:55:07 CDT 2010

Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> FWIW, Software RAID on a machine made in the past 5 years is going to
> easily out-perform any sort of external RAID controller or PCI(e|X) card
> that costs less than $1000.  At least that's my experience with stuff at
> work, using Linux.  I don't know how much (if any) NetBSD software RAID
> sucks.
>
> That said, I'd go with a dumb HBA or two and use an external RAID
> controller if you can find one, and don't want to do software RAID.  The
> least spendy option will probably be something built into a disk tray
> itself, like the LSI/Engenio controllers/trays that everyone and their
> brother re-badges, and you should be able to loop additional RAID boxes
> off of that (maybe even the A5200 will work).
>
> Or, look for an IBM FAStT setup on ebay... like a 1742-blah.

I seem to have forgot to mention, that this is for work.  We have money.
  I need suggestions which are specific enough to consist of model
numbers, and the hardware needs to be new and supported.

You mention above, "Software RAID on a machine made in the past 5 years
is going to easily out-perform any sort of external RAID controller or
PCI(e|X) card that costs less than $1000."  I can spend more than $1000
if necessary.  I'd prefer to not spend more than $5000, though.

Working with an external Solaris box is completely unacceptable because
that would open me up to an avalanche of additional security auditing
paperwork.

Peace...  Sridhar