[geeks] Snow Leopard

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Nov 30 10:01:59 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:23:51PM +0000, Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> I have 2GB in my mac mini, I did the upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6 & tbh
> what I've noticed is that the 5400rpm disk which the system is bundled
> with is really not up to the job of running 10.6, the system really
> struggles at certain points like openning itunes, I dont do anything
> resource intensive apart from running a windows 7 vm very rarely when I
> have no other option, in which case I close everything else down, but
> apart from that I mainly have thunderbird, omniweb, opera, terminal &
> itunes running & that's it.

iTunes is a special case. It's opening speed seems to be based upon a
combination of where the XML file describing your library is, how many
files you have, and how many tags. Once it is parsed, it proceeds to
determine if you are missing any album art, etc and tries to download
them from the internet.

My "mini library" of a couple of hundred songs on the local disk opens
quickly, but my full library of about 30k songs, on a file server, takes
"forever".

Geoff.