[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 09:04:22 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:39 PM, Joshua Boyd<jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
<snip>

> How is FW800 faster or more reliable at moving the 355 megabytes per
> second to display a 1920x1080 8 bit RGB image at 59.97 frames per second
> on a LCD panel?

What are you talking about? What has those bandwidth needs? Are you
talking practical or theoretical?

I guess 1920 x 1080 x 3 (Red, Green, and Blue bytes) x 60 (FPS) - 373
Megabytes/second, but there is no way I'm pulling that data rate out
of my Blu-Ray DVD player, or even half that for "normal" 30 FPS HDTV.

As I recall, a 1x CD-ROM drive pumps out 150KB (Bytes) a second, so
this is the equivalent of a 2366x CD-ROM drive...

I'm sure I'm missing something. Compression?

---
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com