[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jul 28 17:52:44 CDT 2009

nate at portents.com wrote:
>> Also, a single standard will be required to be affordable and be able to
>> drive cable lengths of 1 kilometer, with a simple durable, optionally
>> locking connector.
>
> Let that be an optional card in my fictional open receiver standard, and
> don't make everyone subsidize it with their purchases of new receivers
> with HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 2.0 or whatever.

+1.  VANISHINGLY few people are ever going to need to be able to drive a
monitor a kilometer away (or run a HD camera on the end of a kilometer
of cable), and honestly, I consider it highly unlikely that the very few
who do are going to be trying to do it with consumer-grade equipment.
Making "can drive a connection over 1km cable" a required capability on
every bog-standard HT receiver is sort of like requiring every family
economy sedan sold in the US to be able to run a 6-second standing
quarter-mile.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.