[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 28 17:25:35 CDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 16:40 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> If you get a suppressor for gigabit ethernet, you only need one for
>> each port.
>
> Which has eight components for each 'line'?

I've got one APC passive suppressor that does, and you can order
various kinds here and there.

You do have to make sure you get a "gigabit" suppressor.

A lot of the common stuff on passive suppressors is 10/100, so you
need to make sure you get the right thing.

A good company will be able to tell you precisely which models to get.

I called APC and asked about mine to be sure, because at least at the
time their online site wasn't completely clear and the droids in the
store were clueless.

They discontinued their single-port suppressor for some reason.

>> Usually, I don't go that far.  I just suppress incoming and long
>> lines.
>
> Being ignorant, how? Aside from the APC desktop UPS/surge
> suppressors and power strips with surge protectors on them for
> network lines, how do you protect a dozen lines?

I just said that I don't do that: I only suppress incoming and long
lines.

I must not be understanding your questions for some reason, because
this seems self explanatory.

If you have incoming lines, protect them.

If you have long lines, protect them.

I'm not sure what the question is.

The basic idea is to isolate your network so that surge sources are
protected as much as you can manage and afford.  Try to remember
things like input from other sources like audio equipment, since they
are also surge routes.  Either isolate everything you connect, or
suppress the inputs (if you can).

For example at home I have a suppressor on the line coming from Cox,
and one on a long line which can get induced current surges, the phone
line, and all incoming electrical power.

If I get a line from something I don't control, I protect that as
well, though that can be difficult sometimes.

I don't protect individual ports on my switches, because I can't
afford it, it is a lot of clutter, and I'm not sure it really benefits
much.

However, if you want to do that then you can buy suppressors for that.

I think you are covered, you just need to decide what you want and if
you can afford it.

>> If a strike is bad/close enough, it won't matter anyway, and those
>> should be incredibly rare.
>
> Uhm, I beg to differ - lightning struck the same spot twice in a
> span of three years, plus or minus 30 yards.

I was actually talking about strikes powerful enough to bypass your
suppression being rare, and that's true, and you really can't do
anything about them.  Well, maybe build a better faraday cage or
something.

Also, your individual case just means you have an issue, not that your
situation is common.  It isn't, not as a percentage that causes
trouble anyway.

But your problem really is that you have a spot which is originating
the strikes rather than being the target.

Lightening is not a one-way phenomenon, and you can often reduce or
remove the strike potential in a trouble-spot like that.

My uncle had the same issue with his well years ago.  He lost several
water pumps until he fixed the problem.  Since then, there has never
been another strike on that property, and that's been about 25 years
now.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com