[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Jul 28 17:08:34 CDT 2009

>> We do use USB 2.0 and Firewire to connect things like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray
>> drives to devices that decode and convert their bitstreams.
>>
>> A solution you might even be familiar with is the HD-DVD drive for the
>> XBox 360, which hooks up via USB 2.0.
>
> Yes, but neither are displays, and adding USB and/or FW inputs to a
> display
> only makes things more complicated, not less, since it can't carry the
> bandwidth needed for many display tasks.

Absolutely.

However, I'm saying I'd like to buy integrated receivers which have more
capabilities and displays which have less.

>> I suggested we have the option of buying receivers that don't switch
>> component video or HDMI or whatever else high-bandwidth decompressed
>> streams and we have the option of buying cheap transports that don't
>> have
>> all the decoding circuitry and scalers and video processors.  We already
>> have the multimedia standards, so no need for new signaling standards
>> (which is what HDMI and DisplayPort and whatever else comes along will
>> be).  I didn't say anything about re-compressing anything, which would
>> be
>> silly.
>
> So, by reciever that doesn't switch, do you mean a box that has coax in
> from an antenna and something out?

I'm not sure how I could be much clearer: "receivers that don't switch
... whatever else high-bandwidth decompressed streams"

Invert that, and I'm saying receivers that switch the original compressed
streams (or integrate them into a fully dynamic PiP, tile, or whatever).

> We need new standards until we have an acceptable standard, which we
> still do not have.  An acceptable standard must accept any resolution of
> video from 240p60 or 480p24, up to 2560x1600p60, at both 8 bit and 10
> bit bit depths for either RGB or YUV, and it must still have available
> bandwidth for future resolutions that we do not have yet.

Sure, and those standards should be handled by a display card which comes
with the receiver and can be upgraded.  People should *not* have to get
rid of an HDMI 1.2 receiver just because they want an HDMI 1.3 receiver.

Also, nobody should end up paying for a Faroudja scaler in their DVD
player, a Faroudja scaler in their receiver, and a Faroudja scaler in
their TV.  That's the type of idiocy I'm saying should never happen
(though I'm sure Meridian loves it!)

> Also, a single standard will be required to be affordable and be able to
> drive cable lengths of 1 kilometer, with a simple durable, optionally
> locking connector.

Let that be an optional card in my fictional open receiver standard, and
don't make everyone subsidize it with their purchases of new receivers
with HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 2.0 or whatever.

Ha.

- Nate