[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jul 28 15:44:45 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 04:42:57PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Jul 28, 2009, at 13:24 , Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 01:18:42PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
>>
>>> It WOULD have been great, if everyone involved would have been ok sending
>>> the compressed MPEG-2 and H.264 unencrypted bitstreams across it.  That's
>>> what I was envisioning.  Seems pretty silly to me that we're doing all
>>> the
>>> demuxing and decoding in each device necessitating all these
>>> high-bandwidth interconnects and switches for the decompressed streams.
>>> think everything would be better as a network of self-configuring
>>> transports and decoders, but my ideal is far different than the limited
>>> range of stuff we have in this reality.
>>
>> I do not consider it to be great to not be able to play new codecs, such
>> as perhaps a JPEG2000 stream, nor do I consider it to be great to
>> require my computer to recompress to MPEG2 or H.264 before it can
>> display on a large display.
>
> So instead we now have USB as the only universal bus, and it sucks at
> everything.

We do not use USB to connect DVD players to TVs (or generic media
playing devices to generic video displays), which is what we were
discussing.  I think you have crossed this thread with Mark Benson's
request about Video Casting.

Connections between TVs and DVD players evolved from discussing
replacing everything with fiber, after someone said that this would be
useful because of a single point to point connection instead of 4+
cables.  I suggested that HDMI supplied that particular desire, but that
HDMI sucked.  Someone said that we should standardize on MPEG2 and H.264
and use FW to connect media devices.