[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 28 15:07:30 CDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 11:39 , nate at portents.com wrote:

> There used to be a lot of buzz that Firewire was going to become *the*
> home audio/video interconnect, and it would have been brilliant.  64
> devices supported, isochronous transfers supported, device-to-device
> direct communication, the option to run TCP/IP over it, etc.

Instead, we have this horrible USB crap whose reliability is a
crapshoot, more dependent on how you hold your mouth than any of the
"technology" inside it.

I get depressed every time I think about it, and watch my computer act
poorly because of yet another USB screwup.

> I still think it could be great, but sadly the industry is more
> concerned
> with how they can "protect" their precious content as much as
> possible,

That too.

It's also futile, unless we completely bow to the state and start
taking our soma.

They also fear user created content, even though that's the most
active and logical consequence of worldwide and ubiquitous networking.

Keeping the media companies around is like having a brontosaurus
around to chew my green beans for me.

No thanks.

--
Shannon Hendrix