[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Jul 28 13:17:17 CDT 2009

> I do not consider it to be great to not be able to play new codecs, such
> as perhaps a JPEG2000 stream, nor do I consider it to be great to
> require my computer to recompress to MPEG2 or H.264 before it can
> display on a large display.

Didn't say anything about re-compression, which would be silly.  It's fine
to use something high-bandwidth to go to a display, sure, but I think
there should be only ONE of those, to feed a simple display panel.

The integrated receiver (or decoder in the case of "separates") is ideally
what should do all the processing, and ideally it should just be working
from the original compressed bitstream.  The devices (transports) that
feed that integrated receiver should have a truly minimal amount of
electronics in them.

While we're at it, make the receiver fully open-source so you can write
any software you want for it, make the display on it an LCD, and make at
least some of it's hardware modular and upgradable.

All doable, but nobody is going to do it.  Companies are selfish things,
and love re-inventing the wheel with as much proprietary junk on it as
possible.

- Nate