[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jul 28 12:22:48 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:43:57PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> True, but honestly, if I have a cable run of something like HDMI and
> someone (for example) trips over it, I'd much sooner it just harmlessly
> pop out of the socket than damage the socket or the plug, or pull a
> piece of equipment down.  No, it doesn't latch, but honestly, for any
> realistic purpose I can think of it's secure *enough*.
>
> It's not as though you're going to walk around with a camcorder on the
> end of a hundred feet of HDMI.

No, but locking connectors are also an issue for the short cables used to
connect the various pieces of equipment on the camera rig.  I've
heard many complaints about cables coming out between a camera and a
recorder (such as the FireStore for firewire or now the KI for HDMI) or
converter (Firewire or HDMI in, a hundred feed of coax coming out the
otherside).

> Just read up on DisplayPort.  It looks pretty good, and even includes a
> standard to run over fiber.

It also appears to reduct the clock skew issues of HDMI by not using a
seperate clock line, but maybe I'm naive in thinking that.