[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

John Francini francini at mac.com
Tue Jul 28 06:39:11 CDT 2009

> Fiber runs at its rated speed. Are there still two fibers (one in
> each direction?)

Yes, there are.  (I use fiber 1- and 10-gigabit extensively
(especially the latter) at my work.)

Interestingly, the IEEE proposals out there for 40-gigabit and 100-
gigabit talk about ganging 4 or 10 10-gigabit *fiber* connections
together -- I would have thought that they could just use multiple
colors (frequencies) over the *single* fiber without interference,
using prisms to join/split the colors.  Or am I being way too
simplistic?