[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon Jul 27 16:36:00 CDT 2009

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> None of the TVs were on surge supressors, and it seems I may need to
> start my network rebuild TONIGHT. It appears that NICs around the
> house have failed, I need to start with known good components, and
> completely re-test every node on my network. Luckilly, I have two
> Gigabit switches to replace the damaged units, but I don't have an
> infinite supply of add-in NICs for all my machines.
>
> Is there a reasonable way to get 1 Gb connectivity that DOESN'T act
> like a lightning rod? I.e., cheap fiber runs with media conversion on
> either end?

As mentioned elsewhere, I really wish the world had long since switched
over to fiber not just for networking, but for pretty much all other
data-only connections.  Imagine how much easier it would be hooking up a
hi-fi/home theater system if each component - including the TV monitor -
required only a single optical cable to connect it to the receiver.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.