[geeks] Whee! Lightning strikes, AGAIN!

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Jul 27 13:49:30 CDT 2009

> Well, it didn't actually hit the house or yard, but a near-by
> lightning strike took out:

Out of curiosity, how much of that equipment was on surge protectors?

I ask because a year ago I went out and bought two new decent surge
protectors that also provide protection to equipment hooked up to the
cable lines, and I'd like to know whether or not that sort of protection
is useful in a real-world scenario.

If you were using protectors, if you happen to know their age (since MOVs
do wear out over time), clamping voltage, joule rating, response time,
etc. it would be useful data points.

- Nate