[geeks] Haiku for PowerPC hardware

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 13:38:44 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Mark Benson<md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>  22 Jul 2009, at 17:36, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but will have a go on a couple of
>> B&W G3's & G3 PowerBook's I have sitting here.
>>
>> http://unixzen.com/haiku-ppc/
>
> Interesting... Wonder if I can get it to boot on EFIKA. Anyone know the
jazz
> on booting it from a USB stick?

Depending on various factors (OBP level, USB chipset), you may have to
give an OBP incantation.

Check here these links.  The first one is probably more applicable to
using Haiku:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20061017084322177

I've not been able to find a non-GTech (OWC house brand, I think) USB
drive cannister with the right bridge so I can boot off it on my Intel
Macs (different problem).

I may give Haiku a whirl on the G4 tower later.  I think I am going to
attempt a compile of XBMC on Solaris 10 x86 this weekend (I'm
on-call...I figure that is sufficiently geeky to keep the gremlins
away.)

=Nadine=