[geeks] trader joes

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 15:41:25 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM, <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 03:29:42PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>
>> As a side note, PA has State Liquor stores as well...
>
> Thanks. I remember that from when I lived in Pa, and wondered if they still
> did. Do they still collect that tax for the Victims of the Johnstown flood?
>
> I just looked it up. The flood was in 1936, and if the website is current,
> has never been repealed.

We just stopped paying for the Spanish American war on our phone bills
a few years ago...

"The federal excise tax on telecommunications is a flat 3% surcharge
on Americans' phone bills," Norquist added.  "The tax was first
imposed as a 'luxury tax' at a time when there were barely 2000 phone
lines in operation across America.  Now, with 99% of Americans with
telephone service, the tax constitutes another broad-based tax
Americans barely know exists because it's buried in telephone bills."
(from: http://www.atr.org/clinton-sustains-spanish-american-war-tax-a1160# )

Old taxes *almost* never go away.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/telecom/2006-05-25-phone-tax_x.htm

--