[geeks] ethernet to wireless bridge

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jul 17 15:16:59 CDT 2009

Does anyone know if you can buy an ethernet-to-wireless bridge?

I don't mean ethernet to WiFi, I mean wireless, like cell phone
wireless, 3G and all that.

I'm working on a project to provide customers with access to 3G as a
network interface on FreeBSD machines.  There are wireless modems
supported in FreeBSD, but none of the USB network works great in
FreeBSD.  The drivers are always a generation or more behind, and
there are reliability issues.  In FreeBSD 7.2 when I open the serial
port on the modem, FreeBSD locks up hard.

I'm sure I can work the issues out, but it seems like it would be a
lot easier if we could just get a bridge or something like that which
can be plugged into an ethernet port, configured, and there we are.
No dependence on the OS and drivers.

Any ideas?

Anyone else working with USB wireless modems in FreeBSD that might be
able to relate experience and offer suggestions?

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com