[geeks] Pointers for iPod battery (3rd Gen)

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 19:42:19 CDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM, Lionel Peterson<lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've got a 40 Gig 3rd Generation iPod that needs a new battery, it
> looks like batteries run around $15-25 or more, with $20 being about
> average price for a "kit"... Anyone have any pointers to vendors they
> like/have worked with before?
>
> The reason I believe the battery needs to be replaced is a) the unit
> won't power-up, instead I get a battery image and a warning "triangel"
> on the display and b) it's the original battery, which is what, 5
> years old now?
>
> Thanks in advance - I'm comfortable swapping my own battery (with
> reasonable instructions), but I've never ordered one of these kits
> before and I have no idea what to look for... It seems that "extended"
> battery life is possible, almost doubling the original battery life...

I've purchased from various eBay sellers, the latest of which (for an
iPod Video) performed poorly.  These all cost in the sub $5 range.
There is a seller on eBay (no link handy, sorry) that has a lifetime
warranty on iPod batteries--they go for about 1/2 the retail price,
which is around 2x the "usual" eBay price.

The "tools" they often send with the batteries don't work to well
(they break too easily).  If you have a local electronics supply store
that's better than Radio Shack, stop by and ask for a "nylon spudger"
[0], which is used in circuit work in ESD protected environments.  It
looks like a flat black stick tapered at one end to be very thin, and
with a point on the other end.  Two or three of these will make the
iPods a lot easier to open without worrying about marring the case.
Having one and a couple of guitar picks also works.  I use these
spudgers for lots of different purposes.  I don't know how I got along
without it. :-)

=Nadine=

[0] Pictures: http://www.mendapump.com/MendaCatalog/Tools/Probes/WoodenAndNylon/35621/
                   http://www.macrecycling.com/images/products/922-5065.gif