[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Fri Jul 10 12:46:29 CDT 2009

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2009, at 16:03 , Michael Parson wrote:
>
>>> However, I view my Mac system as a UNIX variation just like I do my
>>> FreeBSD, Solaris, and NetBSD systems, so I'm probably not the one you
>>> meant to respond to.
>>
>> NetBSD is still my favorite.  My current system has been up for quite a
>> while
>> now:
>>
>> $ uname -a
>> NetBSD ultra 3.0 NetBSD 3.0 (BLORG) #2: Sun May  7 13:56:33 CDT 2006
>> root at ultra:/sys/arch/i386/compile/BLORG i386
>>
>> $ uptime
>> 2:53PM  up 626 days, 23:12, 19 users, load averages: 0.20, 0.24, 0.24
>
> My longest time was 400 days.  That was also the longest period of
> time in memory that eastern Virginia has gone without a multi-day
> regional power outtage.
>
> My UPS can only keep it going for a little while, and I have no
> generator.
>
> During that 400 days, I believe I lost power about 15 times, but the
> longest was 10 minutes so I didn't have to shut down.

Yeah, well, had it been hosted out of my house, my uptimes would be
much shorter.  The only way it has been able to maintain that uptime is
because it's in a real datacenter, with UPS, generator, etc.

> NetBSD is great.

I've been a fan of it for a long time.

> My Solaris 10 box is nowhere near as simple to take care of, but it
> seems pretty solid as well.  No unplanned downtime since I started
> using it, except for power failures.

At my last gig, we had several Solaris and AIX systems with uptimes
measuring in years.

Does Linux still have the problem with the uptime clock rolling after
some number of days?

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org