[geeks] Windows NT device names.

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 9 18:18:36 CDT 2009

On Jul 9, 2009, at 15:16 , gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> The explanation of Windows NT device names.
>
> 	http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235128
>
> The old device names C:, etc are there for compatibility with Win32
> programs,
> e.g. ones written for the APIs before Windows NT.

I wasn't aware developers stopped using Win32.  I thought what is
present now was basically just Win32 moved to NT.

You can read through the forums and when people bitch about the drive
letter issues, the developers, even those from Microsoft, say it is a
limitation of the system.

Are you saying that they could be doing it some other way?

Even some of Microsoft's software form the last couple of years has
this problem, so someone needs to tell them if their OS has a
solution... :)