[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jul 9 13:41:27 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 02:26:54PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> MacOS is not as close to the UNIX I started out on as NetBSD.  NetBSD is
> the closest thing to what I think of when I think of UNIX.
>
> However, I view my Mac system as a UNIX variation just like I do my
> FreeBSD, Solaris, and NetBSD systems, so I'm probably not the one you
> meant to respond to.

I started with System V r3.2. Except for the weird window manager, MacOS
is awfully the same as my UNIX system after I installed BASH and a bunch
of other utilites that did not came with it.

In fact, I sitting at one now using terminal. I have 3 tabs open, one
on this computer (running ubuntu), where I am reading email with mutt (son
of elm) editing it with MicroEmacs which I first met on the Amiga in 1986.
The other is on another ubuntu system, and the third is a bash shell on the
Mac.

I also have Mail.app, firefox, skype, and a few other things open in other
spaces, so I don't see them at the moment.

I have Xcode (includes gcc) and MacPorts installed with a few ports, so the
besides the window manager, the biggest difference is that this computer has
that wonderful Mach/BSD kernel instead of the Ubuntu (24 hours is an awfully
long time to between reboots) Linux kernel.

Geoff.