[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Thu Jul 9 13:33:37 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 02:21:14PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> According to a Windows hacker I know, Windows only allows a single
> character for a device name, and I'm sure tons of apps and code
> libraries also make that assumption.

Oh I guess I have to stop using NULL:, LPT1, and so on. The whole drive letter
mess is leftover from DOS and really exists as a compatibility mode. Internally
NT uses a different format (which I forget because I use the letters, like
any other good DOS user).

The last time I wrote any NT system level code was in the late 1990's and
the part I interfaced with was so old it was written in C (instead of C++),
and it used the new format device names.

Bad programing is bad programing, and Windows, Linux, UNIX, etc all do not
suffer from a lack of it.

And just to set the record straight, UNIX/LINUX/BSD (if you don't count it
as UNIX), etc also has no or lousy documentation from the command line if you
don't install the man files.

Geoff.