[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Jul 9 13:32:34 CDT 2009

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Michael Parson wrote:
>

>> I don't know that I ever thought of the earlier Red Hat releases as
>> seriously attempting to be desktop-ready.  As I recall, the first real
>> effort to make a desktop friendly Linux was Caldera Desktop Linux, which
>> was based off Red Hat (2.something, IIRC),
>>

> I think we have different definitions of "desktop ready".  In
> particular, I suspect what you mean here is something rather closer to
> "looks and works just like Windows".
>
> "Desktop" does not imply "Windows".

I think that a lot of the people working on Linux have different
definitions of "desktop ready" and that's part of the reason why nobody
thinks it is desktop ready.  I've used Linux as my main desktop at home
on and off over the past 7 years.  So, apparently, I thought it was
desktop ready in 2002.  Microsoft and Apple have the benefit of having
one person, or a small group that has command over the people developing
their desktop.  If Steve Jobs or Steve Ballmer have a vision for a
desktop OS, it is their vision that drives the next version of Mac OS or
Windows.  Linux has as many chiefs as it has indians, and if one person
doesn't like another's idea, they fork.

    -Dan Sikorski