[geeks] Google announces Google Chrome OS

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jul 9 13:31:33 CDT 2009

On Jul 8, 2009, at 23:41 , der Mouse wrote:

> Right.  And that's about all there is to say about it being UNIX, that
> is, the trademark.

No, it is also UNIX in its APIs, shells, interfaces, etc.

It's just as much UNIX as any other current variation, and almost as
much UNIX(TM) as most of them.

UNIX and UNIX(TM) systems have sat on things like Mach underneath for
over 20 years, not just the original V7 and BSD guts, so why is that
important to calling it UNIX or UNIX(TM) in your mind?

Just curious, since I don't see why mattered after the mid 80s or so.

DEC UNIX and quite a few other sat on far different guts, and it's now
been 20 years since those came out.

> As for it being Unix, that is, the generic core that the various OSes
> derived from V7 have more or less in common?

UNIX and Unix are the same thing.

UNIX(TM) !== UNIX.  That's a silly thing AT&T tried to push years
ago.  Dead horse.

But to the point: a lot of UNIX for over 20 years now have not been
based on the V7 core, so is that really important?

The V7 core wasn't even that good by today's standards.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com